In a petition in 1892 to the Mecklenburg Presbytery, Barclay Presbyterian Church was founded with 18 members from the Monroe and Polkton Churches. Originally constructed as a wooden church in 1893, it was replaced by the present structure in 1921. In 1904 when the name of the town was changed from Beaver Dam to Marshville the church became Marshville Presbyterian Church.
Built on land donated by the community’s benefactor, J. W. Marsh. From 1892 until 2016 the church remained a member of the Charlotte Presbytery and the PCUSA. In 2016 Marshville Presbyterian Church elected to leave the Charlotte Presbytery and the PCUSA. The church officially became a Member of the Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians (ECO).